09 Jan Whitepaper: From Direct Benefits to Big Impacts
In our white paper we present the direct benefits and impact of fintech on the logistics industry. Best practices and future developments show the opportunities of financial innovation for the logistics industry.
Three application domains
Traditionally, innovation in the Netherlands has been organised according to industries, creating focus on the core of each industry. For the Netherlands to remain competitive, cross-fertilisation of industries is necessary. The Logistics & Fintech programme focuses on new innovations for logistics from the area of finance, where fintech is just starting to making waves. Both the fintech and logistics industries can reap benefits through joining forces in three domains:
- to improve administration, working capital & supply chain finance;
- to provide finance for equipment, inventory & real estate; and
- to facilitate international business, cross-border movements and trust.
Logistics reaps the benefits and potential of the innovative power of fintech companies, resulting in three degrees of business transformation;
- Fintech application supporting existing business processes; existing fintech solutions can directly contribute to the performance of logistics service providers and solve their main challenges in their financial process.
- Fintech offers opportunities for logistics service providers to expand their service portfolio in shared services by strategically collaborating with startups to provide a better proposition to their customers.
- Fintech may bring a real transformation in supply chains, solving the problems of lack of transparency, inefficient use of capacity and reluctance to cooperate by supply chain partners. This especially holds for the transformation of international trade and logistics and the business redesign with blockchain technology.
Call to action
To create sustainable, successful crossovers between fintech and logistics, industry-driven development is required. The Logistics & Fintech programme mobilised individual entrepreneurs, companies, knowledge institutions and governments to take up their ideas with others. There is already collaboration and a willingness to develop new initiatives. This network calls all to action to participate and make a big impact in strengthening the competitiveness of the fintech and logistics sectors.
The white paper can be found here